February 20, 2007

BluBoy Sketches: Reflections of Reality - A Tragic Soul



Tribute to Ian Curtis
what he would look like in Bluboy's realm:

iancurtissoul



COMMENTARY:

As you can see this entry is about Joy Division! Mainly that of Singer/Song Writter Ian Curtis. The master of dark emotion (A new term I came up with... Not sure if it makes sense).

I was just being inspired by the life of Ian Curtis, lead singer of Joy Division. Who later form one of my favourite bands New Order.

Ian's music and lyrics are just so touching and inspiring. His themes of isolation and self-hate I find I'm drawn to. And is now, since his suicide, his music is much more full of questions and/or answers to his pain and suffering or to his observations of life and love. Which to me are also what drive my comics and my characters. Since the creation of my comic, I have been looking outside to other artists that I find who are exploring the world and similar questions as I am. Maybe more so for confirmation that I myself am not alone in my art. My comic was developed to try and maybe answer for me what an afterlife may be in contrast to our reality. It was created from sorrow within me and from life altering events I've experienced. Bluboy became the image of my hurt to ease my feelings of loneliness. Sometimes the hurt can give you strength and that facing it head on and not hiding from it can also give you that strength. Bluboy became my own way of soul searching and exploring the world's question of life and death.

As I see Ian has done with his music and in even what drove him in his life. It is these deep and sometimes harsh issues that seem to interest us all in some way. I like to look at the sadness in a happy light. Which is why my comic looks the way it does. I like to play with these emotions that I guess we all fight with at some point in our lives. Some more than others.

I did this little montage of images of Ian. I find such peace and strength when looking at these pictures, knowing I'm not alone in my hurt. It's so interesting to look at these photos and to see the life in his eyes, that are now... gone. And leaves you wondering why. It's a similar experience I try to achieve with my comics. Not all the time, but in some small way. To be on the outside looking in is where we wish we can all be. But are not...

Joy Division LINK --> More

No comments: